Farfa Kinowt

break the wine glass and fall toward the glass blowers breath

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Grad - Class of 2006

My baby brother graduated last weekend with a bachelors degree from WOU. The commencement was Saturday followed by one of his football games and then we had a party for him on Sunday on a riverboat that my family rented. Busy weekend.

My brother is 10 and a half years younger than me. I still remember him coming home from the hospital, all the diaper changing that I did and all the times I rocked him to sleep humming and singing softly in his little ear. My mom and his dad were only married a couple of years so I helped her raise him. I remember walking him down the road and buying him ice cream instead of hanging with my friends. I remember when he was 4 years old and throwing Masters of the Universe action figures at me hoping I would chase him around the house. I remember Mom hanging him upside down by one ankle and spanking him hard as he swung back and forth and me earning a beating by screaming at her until she stopped. I remember the guilt I felt when I moved out of the house and and left him all alone with her.

Mom's temper was bad back then but thankfully, things change. She got remarried to a man who has been a great dad to my brother and Mom mellowed out a little. He ended up having a good childhood after all. They kept him in the same school all the way through and he got to play every sport imaginable. They decided to move to California right before his Senior year and I put my foot down. Making him move right then would have disrupted his whole life. I know, I went to 13 different schools. I talked them into letting him live with me that last year and I was glad to do it.

My baby brother is 24 now. I can't hardly believe that same scrawny little boy is now a 6'2" football player and college graduate. He's done well. He has the world on a string and is ready to move mountains. I'm so proud of him that I'm typing through tears. I tease him and call him the Golden Boy because he had it much easier growing up than I did. I'm glad it worked out that way, though. I've been a little jealous at times, my childhood was rough, but I have no resentment towards him. It wasn't his fault. He still remembers how it was at the beginning and all the times I stepped in defending him from Mom and he loves his big sister. I'd do it all again a thousand times.

I love you Jase, and I'll be in your corner ALWAYS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home