Farfa Kinowt

break the wine glass and fall toward the glass blowers breath

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Crush

Jenna has been bugging me for over a month to take her shopping for clothes. I didn't feel very well so when she asked again today, I tried to get out of it. I was quickly given the guilt trip and reminded that I've been putting it off for weeks so I finally caved. I decided to skip the make up, ran a brush through my hair and we were on our way. We actually didn't find as much cool stuff as we were hoping for and after spending 3 hours and $150.00, we were exhausted and starving. It was already 9:30 by then and we wanted a sit down meal where we could have plenty of time to relax our aching feet and eat. We ended up at Shari's 'cus they're open 24 hours and it was on the way home.

Rewind back about a month. My friend and I went out one night singing Kareoke and ended up at Shari's for a bite to eat after closing down the bar. While we were waiting for our orders, my friend starts getting violently ill from her alcohol binge and manages to puke all over herself in one of the booths. I was horribly embarrassed for her and attempted some damage control by immediately shoving any kind of puke receptacle under her chin that I could find. She filled up 2 coffee cups, her purse and two water glasses by the time the bus boy showed up with a plastic dish tub that they used to clear the tables with.

The whole episode lasted about 10 minutes and then I tried my best to console her and clean her up enough for the ride home in my car. (I love her and all but, puke on the car seats?...uh, no way.) I asked for our meals to go, helped her out to the car and then went back in with my tail between my legs to pay for our meals. I'm swearing in my head at this point never to show my face in this establishment again and it must have showed because next thing I know, the most gorgeous guy I've seen in a way long time is telling me how great I was for taking care of my friend like I did and telling me, "Hey, don't worry about it. We've all been there at one time or another." I muttered a quick "thanks" and wondered where he materialized from all of the sudden as I walked out the door and to the parking lot where my friend and car were waiting.

I thought about him on my way home after I tucked her into her bed that night and have thought about him a few times since then also. I guess it's just not that often that I run into a guy that is tall, dark and great looking who appears to also be a nice person. It gave me some hope that there are still some great guys out there for when I become single again. I actually did see him across the room at one of the local night spots about a week after that and didn't have the nerve to go over say hi. I was thinking about what my approach might be and had looked away. When I looked back, he was gone.

Fast forward back to today. Remember how I said I wasn't wearing any makeup, was tired from shopping and looked like total freaking hell? Guess who works at Shari's? Go ahead. You'll never guess...Ok maybe you will. Yep. Mr. Great looking nice guy. He was right there when we walked in tonight looking all fine and shit, this time in his work clothes. I avoided looking directly at him as we were paraded past him to our seats. And as luck would have it, the bitch sat us in a spot where he was no more than 10 feet away from us and in plain sight the WHOLE time we were there. I kept my head turned and faced down as we enjoyed our meal and, when it was over, we went up to the register to pay. Well, I should have bought a lottery ticket on the way home because guess who also came up to the register to cash us out. Yep, HIM again! There was just no avoiding looking at him this time as he tried to make polite conversation and I'll be damned if Jenna wasn't feeling chatty and kept him talking. About us shopping and her being spoiled and how I'm the greatest Mom (she was trying to butter me up to take her shopping again tomorrow) Oh, and how I was so great to let her use my coat because she was cold and forgot hers....It went on and on and all I wanted was to sign their copy of the damn debit card receipt and get the hell outa there before I started stammering like an idiot and telling him he had the most gorgeous eyes I had ever seen. Or even worse, I might smile at him and there would be a green piece of food in my teeth just to further humiliate me. But do you know what he did this time?....That adorable boy was nice AGAIN...And acted like it was great of me to give my jacket up to my daughter when it was cold out.

WHY-THE-HELL did I not at least put make up on before I went into that place. And why is it that we can go to the grocery store or a restaraunt or to the mailbox even and look cute as hell and see NO ONE that we can show it off to but the ONE fucked up time we go into public, face all red blotchy, lips dry and chapped, freckles out in full force, eyes all red and puffy, wearing baggyass jeans and a tank top that's two sizes too big we end up having a 10 minute conversation with a male model lookalike. Somebody shoot me in the head.

It's hopeless. I'm officially pathetic. The fact that I have put this much thought into the matter just verifies that I have a sickening 6th grade crush on the cute guy at Shari's. I even already learned his name because I heard 2 people say it. Now watch, I'll start getting all dolled up wearing cleavage shirts and begging my friends to go there and eat with me every chance I can (after I figure out his work schedule of course) and then when I get there I'll hope to get seated in his section so I can be content just looking at him. Then he'll catch me showing up and staring at him all the time and find out that I've been carving hearts with our initials in them into tree trunks and get a restraining order and that will be that.

I told Jenna the whole story about him when we got out to the car and she said, "It's OK, mom I had a crush on him too while we were in there. He's cute." I'm not worried about it though. She never ever EVER gets to go there with me again because she swears she's going to embarrass me by doing a bad Sandra Bullock imitation and telling him "My mom thinks you're cuuuuuttte! She wants to daaatte you! She wants to kiiissss you. She wants to loooovve you." And I just can't take that chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home